What are glucans?
- Glucans are macro-molecules made from the carbohydrate glucose.
- Glucans have numerous naturally occurring forms and can be obtained from micro-organisms and from some highly developed plants and fungi.
- Such Glucans not only differ from one another chemically but differ widely in their structure, properties and effect.
- When absorbed into the system some can harmlessly mimic a molecular intrusion which in turn stimulates an immune response.
Only (1→3),(1→6)-ß-D-glucans are immune modulators
- Not all glucans are able to activate the immune system.
- The characteristic feature of active glucans is the ß-(1 3)-chain made up of glucose molecules.
- These glucans are often described as beta-glucans.
- However, beta-glucans are bad immune modulators,
unless they are comprised of branches of the ß-(1 3)-chain
which is made up either of single glucose molecules or chains of it.
- Glucans with these specific branches are called (1 3),(1 6)-ß-D- glucans. It is this group of glucans that is able to bolster the immune system.
- But even among (1 3),(1 6)-ß-D-glucans, a substantial divergence exists between the number and length of the branches.
- Thus, big differences also exist as far as the efficiency of beta-glucans are concerned.
What are the effects of (1→3),(1→6)-ß-D-glucans?
- According to the latest experimental scientific findings, (1→3),(1→6)-ß-D-glucans used in Vitalize products (obtained through a patented process) are one of the most efficient biotic activators.
- Through the activation of a specific type of white blood cell, the macrophage, (1→3), (1→6)-ß-D-glucan bolsters the immune system of both humans and animals.
The PRI team spear-headed the initial development of memantine (Namenda®) – the first FDA approved drug that alters the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease.
Memantine is an adamantane derivative shown to be an open channel blocker of the N-methyl D-aspartate (NMDA) subtype of glutatmate receptors. Memantine is used for the treatment of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Memantine is likely to be useful for treatment of other conditions associated with overactivity of the NMDA receptor, such as neuropathic pain, stroke, ALS and Huntington’s disease.
WARNING: This product is for Research Use ONLY. NOT for human or drug use.
Chemical Name: l-amino-3,5, dimethyladamantane
Molecular Formula: C12H21N HCl
Molecular Weight: 215.8
CAS Number: 19982-08-2
PRI’s immunoassay for marinobufagenin (MBG), a cardiotonic steroid implicated in salt-sensitive hypertension, preeclampsia, traumatic brain injury, and other disorders, is a competitive ELISA with sensitivity to <1 pg of MBG, minimal cross-reactivity to resibufogenin, telocinobufagin, and other cardiotonic steroids, and excellent reproducibility. Analysis of MBG in urine is possible without sample pretreatment. Plasma MBG analysis requires pretreatment. Contact PRI for pricing, turnaround, or other questions.
Lucidant Polymers, LLC Currently operating from the Panorama incubator, develops specialty chemicals for life sciences applications. Lucidant’s particular expertise is acrylamide-based polymers for bioseparations: ultra high MW linear polyacrylamide for capillary gel electrophoresis of DNA, novel monomers for high-resolution gel separations, and microarray coatings for DNA and protein analysis. Lucidant has been registered to the ISO9001:2008 Quality standard since 2012.
Please email us for information and quotes.
We provide other CRO services as well.